MELAKA, June 16 – The Melaka government today denied the existence of the Bantu Rakyat Melaka (BRAM) bonus of RM750 for people in the state which has gone viral on social websites.
State Secretary Datuk Seri Naim Abu Bakar said the viralled postings stated that the state government would be giving RM750 each to all the Melaka-born aged between 16 and 55 years.
He said the claims were false as the state government had never approved such a payment except for the special assistance of RM500 that had been approved by the federal government for civil servants and also applied here.
“This is a lie and false claim which the public should consider it to be as such,” he told reporters, here, today.
He advised the public to be wary of such false news and instead get valid news from the proper channels or refer the matter to the Chief Minister’s Department.
Naim said he had lodged a report on the false claims at the Ayer Keroh police station today and left it to the police to investigate.
Meanwhile, Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron, in a statement today, denied ever having made an announcement on giving BRAM as spread on the social media.
“This lie might be regarded as a joke but it has tarnished my image and that of the Melaka state government.
“I hope those who spread this rumour would stop it immediately as it is a nuisance to the public and those who have received the message, should just ignore it,” he said.